Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Taking an HGTV "What's your bedroom style?" Quiz

Find it here

It's not going well. The first question is more related to what my sister and brother-in-law's style is and, quite frankly, none of us would be too bloody likely to put flowers in someone else's bedroom. The second question involves me having to go research several catalogs that I have either never seen or only seen very rarely. Where's Pier1? Eh? 

Truthfully, I mainly thumb through (virtually speaking) the store sites where I am ever likely to be able to afford a thing. IE: Walmart, because thrift stores you have to go to. Pier 1 and Cost Plus are my dream sites as they have interesting things that are too expensive for me, but, oodles cheaper than other places. I used to dream at Target, but, I've gotten so much rudeness and low-quality, too expensive stuff there that I mostly have given up on them. I am happy with my cast iron, enameled spoon rest, though. That hasn't fallen apart, yet, unlike the clothing, microwave cart, etc.

Okay, having looked up the catalogs, I find I am really in trouble, as the answer is "No."  I don't find any of them any more, or any less, inspirational than the others. They all have "moments" as the designers say, but, none of them have exactly "my style" beyond this stool here, that chair there, that bedspread, etc. To me, they all look like expensive, utzy, generic goods in the main, that could be enhanced by adding personal style, such as one of my paintings, or something I found in a thrift shop, or etc.

Uh oh, now there is a question about fashion icons and I can truly say "No."  None of them inspire me. Where is David Bowie? Janis Joplin? Alice Cooper? Cheech Marin? Even Betsy Ross or whatever her name is will do. She does fashion. She does very interesting, sturdy, colorful, well patterned shoes, too. They don't fit me, so I hate he for that, but, at least they have some personality.

For your edification, I chose mason jars and wild flowers, Pottery Barn and quirky Marc Jacobs, so far. I'll probably end up with an old, busted rubber tire for a bed. 

Shan't tell you the rest of my answers, though, unless I come to another truly difficult point. I can tell you that, so far, none of the answers reflect my lifestyle, or, in some cases, the answer would be "yes" across the board. Which means I am Eclectic, but, let's see if they can figure that out, shall we?

And, why yes, yes they can:

Your Bedroom Design Style Is: Eclectic
"The beauty of this style," says Rebecca Tier Soskin (www.rebeccasoskin.com), "is that you can bring just about anything into your room that makes you happy." A shag rug, Lucite table, weathered side chair and a floral duvet? "Go for it!" she encourages. "The more you mix it up, the better." The idea behind eclectic decor, she says, is blending materials and finishes for an unexpected and very individualized result.
"It's about mixing all different types of furnishings and decor from all different eras to achieve an unorthodox and collected look," says Layla Palmer of The Lettered Cottage (www.theletteredcottage.net). With no rules, the sky's the limit when choosing your design elements. Incorporate statement pieces you love and look to repurpose items (that funky vase can become your new favorite bedside lamp!) to fit your needs.

Good thing they sorted that out, too I was in the bedroom, not so long ago, pulling underwear out of the hanging shoe holder, putting them in a hat box (bra), an old purse in matching tones but different pattern and shape than the hatbox for panties, and an old,  green print, oval shaped carry-on for the pajama type tops. 
Eclectic? Me? No, never!









No comments:

Post a Comment